[j-nsp] Juniper box equivalent to GSR

Jack Parks jackwparks at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 10:00:47 EDT 2005

I have found that the Cisco 12410 and the M320 are similar in price.
M40e is a bit cheaper.  The main cost difference has been in the
maintenance (Cisco has per line card maint.).  With the new SIP/SPA
configuration, the GSRs are becoming more flexable and less expensive,
compared to traditionaly configured GSRs with engine-X cards.

Other notes: IOS is a disadvantage in my opinion. 7206-NPE-G1 will
barely do line rate on one GE interface, let alone all three.

I guess it comes down to personal preference, but in the near term,
IOS-XR is promising, but still has a way to go.  All the features you
want are in JunOS today and there is no need to bother trying to
understand which engine card/IOS version/oversubscription model you
want to deploy with Juniper.  The same electronics and the same JunOS
go in the M7i and the M40e. alot of guess work is eliminated.

Additionally, JunOS, in our testing, has better protocol failover
(convergence) times and stability than IOS.

Get one in the lab and test drive one for yourself.  It will help you
get more comfortable with and alivieate and miss-information
(marketing) you might have with both vendors.

Jack