[j-nsp] l3vpn

Pedro Roque Marques roque at juniper.net
Wed Oct 19 16:17:33 EDT 2005

Alexander Arsenyev (GU/ETL) wrote:
> This probably will work but let me recall what the original question was -
> "Can we configure multiple vrfs for a single interface?"
> The config below implies that interface on [pe] facing [aggr] is in routing-instance "aggr", or, in other words,
> single vrf named "aggr" is assigned to the interface on [pe] which faces [aggr].
> So the answer I guess would be "single interface could have only 1 VRF assigned but there
> are workarounds for the specific circumstances".

I sort of disagree w/ the "workaround" comment.

If one considers a routing-instance to imply a particular destination
lookup table, then by definition a logical interface has a single
destination lookup table.

For applications where you want "split" particular patterns of traffic
into different table lookups this is achieved via a classification stage
before the destination table lookup.

So, i'd argue that the answer to your question is that the concept of an
interface in multiple vrfs doesn't really exist. Or at least i don't
understand it.

You can build a lot of applications on top of JunOS if you understand
what the basic building blocks are. A "routing-instance" is a collection
of resources that implies both a set of control routing tables and a
given forwarding path.

   Pedro.