[j-nsp] Cisco EIGRP across MPLS

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Sep 2 07:41:57 EDT 2005

> I've been having a problem with a customer of ours who are trying to run
> EIGRP across an MPLS/L2VPN circuit. On our side of things, there are two
> J4300s involved; router A is running JUNOS 7.1R2.2 and router B is
> running JUNOS 7.2R1.7. The customer tells me that when the Cisco
> attached to B sends multicast EIGRP hellos, Router A receives them.
> However, when Router A sends multicast EIGRP hellos, they don't arrive
> at B.
> Does anyone have any experience with EIGRP (or other multicast
> protocols) across MPLS circuits? Does it work?

We have *lots* of Martini tunnels (l2circuit in Juniper speak) between
Juniper routers, and use them to transport all sorts of customer
traffic, including multicast/broadcast. Works just fine - the Martini
tunnel is simply a pipe, all packets you put into the pipe at one end
come out at the other end.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no