[j-nsp] Cisco EIGRP across MPLS

Dermot Williams dermot.williams at irishbroadband.ie
Fri Sep 2 04:36:53 EDT 2005

Hi,

I've been having a problem with a customer of ours who are trying to run
EIGRP across an MPLS/L2VPN circuit. On our side of things, there are two
J4300s involved; router A is running JUNOS 7.1R2.2 and router B is
running JUNOS 7.2R1.7. The customer tells me that when the Cisco
attached to B sends multicast EIGRP hellos, Router A receives them.
However, when Router A sends multicast EIGRP hellos, they don't arrive
at B.

I have tried to verify this by using monitor traffic interface on the
appropriate vlan-ccc interface, but I don't see any traffic at all - I'm
assuming that this is to be expected because of the encapsulation on the
interface. However, I set up a small test in our lab, whereby I
configured EIGRP on a Cisco 831, connected it directly to fe-0/0/0 on a
J4300 and ran the monitor command; again, no packets and this was on an
interface with standard Ethernet encapsulation. To confirm my Cisco's
config, I used Ethereal to sniff the EIGRP-running interface and was
able to confirm that there are indeed EIGRP multicast hellos being
transmitted.

Does anyone have any experience with EIGRP (or other multicast
protocols) across MPLS circuits? Does it work?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Regards,

Dermot Williams