[j-nsp] multicast routing problem - juniper M7i (JUNOS7.1R3)

Jaroslaw Adam Gralak rsh at man.szczecin.pl
Fri Sep 2 04:20:44 EDT 2005

Hello,

I met strange behavior of M7i after configuring multicast routing.

<config>
admin at jun# top show protocols pim
rib-group inet mcast-rib;
rp {
    bootstrap-priority 10;
    local {
        family inet {
            address x.y.z.109;
            priority 5;
        }
    }
}
interface ge-1/3/0.18;
interface ge-1/3/0.7;
interface at-0/0/0.0;
interface ge-1/3/0.341;
interface ge-1/3/0.342;

admin at jun# top show routing-options rib-groups mcast-rib
export-rib inet.2;
import-rib inet.2;

admin at jun# top show routing-options multicast
ssm-groups 232.0.0.0/8;

admin at jun# top show protocols msdp
rib-group mcast-rib;
local-address x.y.z.170;
peer x.y.z.169;

admin at jun# show
type external;
local-address x.y.z.170;
import peer_In;
family inet {
    unicast {
        rib-group bramka_rib-group;
    }
    multicast {
        rib-group mcast-rib;
    }
}
export peer_Out;
peer-as 65501;
neighbor x.y.z.169;
</config>

With this configuration router worked for 5h
without any problems, than I decided to also run
sap (set protocol sap )- after committing this
router worked for about a minute,
but then unexpectedly reset all of bgp neighbor connections.
So including resynchronization it took about 5min.

Another strange behavior was observed next day.
Router without any explicit configuration just did the same, losing
connection with all of peers and shortly after reestablished them.
I was logged on the router during that time and the only think which I
performed was a series of show command for multicasting like:
show msdp source-active, show multicast mrinfo, mtrace etc...
I guess that mtrace was the last...

After failure I decided to turn off msdp and mbgp sessions.
>From that time til now it works without a hitch.

Does anybody have any idea what was happened?

Regards,

--
Jaroslaw Adam Gralak
Technical University of Szczecin / Academic Center of Computer Science