[j-nsp] L-LSP in M-Series ?

Pedro Fortuna pedro.fortuna at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 10:51:04 EDT 2005

Hello Dan & all,

It seems that all M-Series only support 4 TC, but the M320 supports 8.
The purpose of spliting traffic classes per different l2circuits is to
be able to provide triple-play services to home users, and for
instance, to aggregate all voice traffic between two LERs in a single
LSR with Traffic Engineering. But of course, it uses more label space
as you said.

As to VLAN ids, I think they are a pretty big problem because 4K id's
is very limiting i.e. between two LER's you can only setup 4K
l2circuits. Moreover, as it seemed to me, in Juniper M-Series, it is
mandatory to use the same vlan-id in both sides (VLAN translation or
VLAN swapping is not supported).

Does anybody knows if Juniper M-Series supports tagged mode (i.e.
transporting clients VLANs through the MPLS core) ? The Juniper
M-Series must be able to receive Q-in-Q ethernet frames (stack of
S-VLAN and the Client's own VLAN).

Best Regards,
Pedro Fortuna

On 03/09/05, Dan Martin <dmartin at micromuse.com> wrote:
> The implementation I've seen uses the 4 traffic classes available inside
> an LSP.  I guess they were trying to avoid creating more lsps.
>
> From what I've seen of ATM, the key parameter was how many "calls" I
> could set up per unit time.  This is still pretty early on in MPLS and I
> haven't seen any vendor brag about how many lsps they can set up on a
> box in a unit time.
>
> This would make me try to minimize the number of lsps I set up on my
> stuff.
>
> You're right, you have to mark the flows somehow and 802.1Q seems a
> pretty good way to do it.  the next problem you'll have is VLAN Ids.
> I've got a bunch of older switches and they only support 256 vlans.

Cumprimentos,
Pedro Fortuna