[j-nsp] load balancing between multiple BGP links

Guy Davies Guy.Davies at telindus.co.uk
Wed Sep 14 06:50:24 EDT 2005

Hi Joe,

It can't with the physical layout you described.  BGP selects one next-hop as the best (and only one).  The only way to load share is to have two (or more) parallel links between just two routers.  You then create a static route on each end via each physical next-hop to the loopback on the far end router.  Then, you setup an ebgp multihop session between the loopbacks on the two routers.  That then uses IGP load sharing to balance traffic across the two parallel links.

Other than that, you're stuck with crude methods of dividing up the destination prefixes to approximate load sharing.  You could set localpref on routers based on AS path length or some other totally arbitrary parameter to ensure that you're getting something approximating 50/50.  But that's pretty horrible, pretty crude and rarely gives stable results.

Rgds,

Guy