[j-nsp] Very disappointed with Juniper

Chris Cappuccio chris at nmedia.net
Fri Apr 7 18:45:15 EDT 2006

I recently moved over several chan DS3s and a few clear DS3s from some ancient
7507s to a Juniper M20... It was very exciting to get this new router, 40Mpps
and all.  It was kinda fun to learn the Juniper bgp policy setup, at least
it got interesting with l3vpn added in the mix.  Juniper had well documented
everything, and it was even easy to read and find what I needed to get.  If
anything, the documentation was excessive and overwhelming, it's an adventure
to find what you need.  Fair enough, after three late nights, all the DS3s
are switched over!  And, everything works fine.  No bugs, no complains, no
OIR reboots, no parity errors after replacing RAM three times, no
complete operating system melt-downs after enabling a new feature, none of
that.  Come on guys!?!  Now that this thing has been operating for
weeks at a time, I'm not finding any major bugs that require me to step down
three versions.  What gives??? I'm missing the late nights of finding an
IOS version that actually works properly.  What ever happened to unexplained
spontaneous reboots? Shit, I'm going to be out of a job soon.  I'm not quite
sure how to deal with this, everything "just works" "out of the box"....