[j-nsp] Very disappointed with Juniper

Tom tsparks at minions.com
Sat Apr 8 16:39:38 EDT 2006

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006, W. Kevin Hunt wrote:
> I've been lurking for 3 weeks trying to decide if our next border router
>  should be another Cisco 12k or a Juniper.

Obviously asking on the list will get you some biased answers, but for the
most part I've used both systems at the same time, and I prefer the
Junipers for most things. I wish Juniper had some smaller routers, but the
J series seems to be taking care of that for me right now. If only the J
series had an OC3 interface, and LACP I'd be in heaven.

> 1.) JUNOS seems steeped in BSD, one of my favorite OS's, is it true you
> can run FreeBSD compiled binaries on JUNOS ?

You can to an extent.

> 3.) Anyone here had to deal with 6-8 mpps ddos attacks on a Juniper, and
>  if so, was the juniper cli responsive during the attacks

>From my experience, yes.
The control plane (Routing Engine) is separate from the forwarding plane
(hardware) so things tend to be separated well. There are cases where
traffic does hit the RE, but they're unusual and you can filter access
to it.

> 4.) What are the support and upgrade options on equipment that one did
> not purchase "new".  i.e. we acquired this M40, it seems to have JUNOS
> 4.1 on it.  What kind of expense am I looking at to get the latest JUNOS
> on it and basic telephone support for it?

I believe you have to get it "re-certified" unless you can produce
documents stating that your company is the original owner. Other than
that, its a call to sales to find out pricing. Cheapest support I've found
for Juniper seems to be around $400.

-Tom