[j-nsp] VPLS on 12-port Fast Ethernet PIC

Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim ihsan at rfs.net.my
Fri Apr 28 15:38:39 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Upon reading the JUNOS VPN Configuration Guide, I came to light that
VPLS is not supported on the 8/12/48-port Fast Ethernet PICs. Where I
work, we have quite a number of 12-port PICs that we plan to make use to
deliver  VPLS service.

Given this fact, I'm curious to know what are those technical
limitations of these PICs that make deployment of VPLS impossible. As I
understand it, VLAN-tagged LACP operation are not supported on those
PICs either which is also a bummer to our plans.

Say if we do VPLS on the 4-port PIC, do we get a switch (to act as a CE)
to to trunk over our customers' VLANs and terminate them at our PEs or
is there a better way to run up the VPLS deployment scale?

--
Thank you for your time,
Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim