[j-nsp] BGP Hold-times

Clinton Work clinton at scripty.com
Thu Dec 28 23:37:32 EST 2006

If you only have a few BGP sessions with under 100 routes then I'm sure
you can get away with 1 and 3 BGP timers. I have personally encountered
problems with aggressive BGP timers on large scale MPLS PEs.  When the
RP is handling hundreds of BGP sessions with thousands of routes the use
of aggressive BGP timers can make some sessions unstable. If you really
need fast convergence then BFD or a link state routing protocol would be
a better choice.