[j-nsp] MPBGP configuration problem

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Jan 2 11:07:20 EST 2006

> Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 02:51:38 -0800 (PST)
> From: vinay pit <vinay_pit at yahoo.com>
> Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
>
> Dear All
>
> I have very less experience in Juniper Routers. I need
> to configure a MPBGP session between a Juniper M40e
> router and a cisco router. The cisco router acts a RR
> (Route Reflector) and the juniper router as a client
> of it.
>
> Please can any one tell me what all is the
> configuration to be done on the Juniper router.

There is really nothing special in the config of MBGP between a Cisco
and a Juniper. Just configure a standard BGP session on the Juniper and
specify
neighbor ww.xx.yy.zz {
    family inet {
        any;
    }
}

Or you may specifically invoke the protocols to be allowed:
    family inet {
        unicast;
        multicast;
    }

The fact that it is a reflector client is generally relevant to the
reflector server, but not the client.

As always, make sure that the next-hop is actually reachable by IGP,
static or (most commonly) direct connection. Make sure MTU is
consistent. Determine if synchronization is desired, esp. on the Cisco
end. All the stuff you would do for a vanilla IPv4 unicast peering.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)