[j-nsp] MPBGP configuration problem

senad palislamovic spalislam at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 2 13:29:22 EST 2006

Vinay,

I am not sure what your intention for running MPBGP.
However, here is the snippet of many possible "family"
configurations on BGP.

Enabling Multiprotocol BGP
Multiprotocol BGP (MBGP) is an extension to BGP that
enables BGP to carry routing information for multiple
network layers and address families. MBGP can carry
the unicast routes used for multicast routing
separately from the routes used for unicast IP
forwarding.

To enable MBGP, you configure BGP to carry network
layer reachability information (NLRI) for address
families other than unicast IPv4 by including the
family inet statement:

family inet {

    (any | labeled-unicast | multicast | unicast) {

        prefix-limit {

            maximum number;

            teardown <percentage> <idle-timeout
(forever | time-in-minutes)>;

        }

        rib-group group-name;

    }

}

To enable MBGP to carry NLRI for the IPv6 address
family, include the family inet6 statement:

family inet6 {

    (any | labeled-unicast | multicast | unicast) {

        prefix-limit {

            maximum number;

            teardown <percentage> <idle-timeout
(forever | minutes)>;

        }

        rib-group group-name;

    }

}

To enable MBGP to carry Layer 3 VPN NLRI for the IPv4
address family, include the family inet-vpn statement:

family inet-vpn {

    (any | multicast | unicast) {

        prefix-limit {

            maximum number;

            teardown <percentage> <idle-timeout
(forever | minutes)>;

        }

        rib-group group-name;

    }

}

To enable MBGP to carry Layer 3 VPN NLRI for the IPv6
address family, include the family inet6-vpn
statement:

family inet6-vpn {

    (any | multicast | unicast) {

        prefix-limit {

            maximum number;

            teardown <percentage> <idle-timeout
(forever | minutes)>;

        }

        rib-group group-name;

    }

}

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos74/swconfig74-routing/html/bgp-config42.html

To connect to RR, no need for any special
configuration.

Senad