[j-nsp] policy subroutine evaluation: route characteristics

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Jan 9 07:03:34 EST 2006

Hi,

Quite some time ago, I noticed and filed a doc bug on policy
subrouting evaluation:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos74/swconfig74-policy/html/policy-overview-framework17.html

in particular, it says,

"[...]. If one of the [subroutine] actions is meant to manipulate
route characteristics, the characteristic is changed regardless of
whether accept, reject, or neither action is specified."

At least my tests indicate that route characteristic manipulation is
never done.

This seems worth discussing because both behaviours are desirable; in
certain policies, we'd like to just get a TRUE/FALSE back (no
manipulation), in most cases subroutines should act like real
subroutines also allowing route manipulation.

Is the intention to fix the code to correspond to the doc, change the
doc and remove this feature, or extend to allow both behaviours?