[j-nsp] Conditional advertising of default routes

Jee Kay jeekay at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 02:28:22 EST 2006

I've got a pair of Juniper M7is that handle our internet connectivity.
At the moment, they are generating default routes via static discard
configuration, and advertising them into OSPF. Obviously this is less
than ideal, as if one router's uplink disappears it will continue to
advertise the default and we'll get blackholed traffic at worst (at
best, iBGP plugs the gap, but right now that isn't in place).

With Cisco, in a similar situation, you can do a default-information
originate route-map blah, where route-map blah just matches a network
you expect always to be available (I use the RIPE F golden network).
In this way, if a border routers peering drops, it stops advertising
the default and traffic gets routed correctly internally.

I've been searching through the Juniper documentation, but have been
unable to figure out how to produce the same effect on them.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Ras