[j-nsp] Help on BGP

Hyunseog Ryu r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Fri Jul 7 14:36:22 EDT 2006

 From your statements, it seems that you need three options.
1) the best path routing info from both A and B to customers
2) BGP full routing table from ISP A to customers
3) BGP full routing table from ISP B to customers

In order to accomplish this all 3 options available,
you need to use L3VPN/VRF with a couple of different RIB implementation.

Setup the VRF for following.
1) ISP_A_BGP
2) ISP_B_BGP
3) UPSTREAM_BEST_PATH_BGP
4) CUSTOMER
5) CUSTOMER_ISP_A
6) CUSTOMER_ISP_B

For routing, you have to do following things.

1) when you receive full BGP routing table from ISP A, you can save ISP
A full bgp routing table into ISP_A_BGP and UPSTREAM_BEST_PATH_BGP.

2) when you receive full BGP routing table from ISP B, you can save ISP
B full bgp routing table into ISP_B_BGP and UPSTREAM_BEST_PATH_BGP.

3) when you have customer, who wants to receive the routing from both
ISP A, and B, you needs to save customer routing to CUSTOMER.

4) when you have customer, who wants to receive the routing only from
ISP A, you needs to save customer routing to CUSTOMER_ISP_A.

5) when you have customer, who wants to receive the routing only from
ISP B, you needs to save customer routing to CUSTOMER_ISP_B.

6) For customer, who wish to receive best path routing from A and B, you
need to send UPSTREAM_BEST_PATH_BGP, CUSTOMER, CUSTOMER_ISP_A, and
CUSTOMER_ISP_B.

7) For customer, who wish to receive BGP routing only from A,  you need
to send ISP_A_BGP, CUSTOMER, CUSTOMER_ISP_A, and CUSTOMER_ISP_B.

8) For customer, who wish to receive BGP routing only from B,  you need
to send ISP_B_BGP, CUSTOMER, CUSTOMER_ISP_A, and CUSTOMER_ISP_B.

9) For ISP_A, you need to send CUSTOMER, CUSTOMER_ISP_A only.

10) For ISP_B, you need to send CUSTOMER, CUSTOMER_ISP_B only.

I think it is complex to implement, but I don't have much time to work
on actual configuration to test it.
You can check Juniper System Engineer to do work on actual sample
configuration for you.

If you wants to use logical router for this purpose,
that means you have to setup two BGP session for each ISP,
and I don't think any ISP allows multiple BGP sessions from single circuit.

Hyun