[j-nsp] VRRP and preempt

Jee Kay jeekay at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 10:15:02 EDT 2006

I've got a pair of M5s (running 6.3R1.4 which I know is old etc etc)
that present a number of VRRP addresses to end systems. Both of them
have 'preempt { hold-time 600; }' configured for all of their
addresses.

Despite this, when the 'primary' router reboots and comes back online,
it _immediately_ takes ownership of all the VRRP addresses resulting
in an outage as it seems to start its VRRP processes before its OSPF
processes and therefore is clueless as to what to do with the data
it's just decided it should be getting.

Has anyone else seen this? Part of me is wondering if this is because
of spanning-tree delays on the switchports they plug in to, so that
the primary ends up thinking the secondary is muscling in on its
territory rather than the other way around. If so, what do other
people do? Is it accepted practice to set port-fast on ports facing
such equipment?

Thanks in advance,
Ras