[j-nsp] Juniper M120 finally announced

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Jul 17 15:17:36 EDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 06:41:24PM +0200, Jonas Frey wrote:
> Yay!
>
> Sounds very nice indeed. 6 FEB's....woohoo. And (official) hitless
> updates of JunOS.

Not in the traditional sense of a FEB. As I understand the design, they've
basically seperated out the forwarding components from the T-series type
design into "backend cards" which map to an FPC.

It is a 1:1 mapping too, not the traditional shared capacity where loss of
a switch card just reduces the available bandwidth. Each FEB maps to an
FPC and if you don't have a FEB for the FPC the FPC does not function.
Each FEB can support a single FPC2, FPC3, or cFPC, or two FPC1s, so for
example in a fully loaded box with 2 cFPCs and 4 FPC2s or FPC3s has no
redundancy on the FEBs. If you lose a FEB, one FPC must die. But at least
you get to pick which one, and you can map any FEB to any FPC.

Each FEB has 10Gbps of capacity, so you can oversubscribe it with 4-port
GE's on an FPC2 (moreso than M160, which has 12.8Gbps for an FPC2), but
otherwise it is not oversubscribed on FPC3 etc.

> Seems it got a new Routing Engine with 1Ghz...i wonder what type this
> is? P3? P4? Celeron?

Pentium M I believe, and there is also a 2GHz version. The new RE-A's are
supposed to be compatible with older chassis (except the M#i's of course),
and have USB ports on the back too. :)

> And what are those ports at the top of the chassis? Any built-in
> interfaces?

The built-in interfaces (well built in FPCs really) are the two things to
the left of the FPCs, you can do OC192 or 10GE only. The ports on the top
are mgmt, serial, aux, etc like normal.