[j-nsp] OSPF in High-Availability environments

Jee Kay jeekay at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 14:05:08 EDT 2006

On 19/06/06, Raymond Cheh <rcheh at juniper.net> wrote:
> Sending ICMP unreachable packets is independent of the routing protocol.
> Will enabling BFD help? It allows fast link failure detection.

BFD does have a time to detection of around 300ms which certainly cuts
down the window of opportunity. While blackholing traffic for that
long isn't a huge problem, I wonder if it will address the more
fundamental problem which seems to be one of eligible routes not
getting installed into the FIB in a timely manner.... I don't think my
current problem is caused by the 3 seconds it is taking OSPF to notice
the neighbour is dead, but more by what happens immediately after
that, until the entire path has reconverged.

Ras