[j-nsp] aggregate-ethernet vs mpls ?

Alexandre Snarskii snar at paranoia.ru
Wed Jun 21 13:45:29 EDT 2006

Hi!

We are facing strange problem with mpls over aggregate-ethernet link.
This aggregate-ethernet consists of 3x old (revision-a) ge-lx
cards, which connected to foundry switches and connecting
our routers over 10ge link. Topology is pretty simple:

R1 <-3xGE-> S1 <-10GE-> S2 <-3xGE-> R2 <-stm-16-> R3

Configuration is just copied from old one-ge link between routers R1 and R2
with only adjustments needed to ae to work.

Problem is the next: our management station, connected to routing instance
on R1 (instance-type vrf, used for management) is not able to access _some_
addresses (l2 switches really) in the same routing instance on R2....
At the same time all l2circuits R1-R3 and R2-R3 works without problems,
and all addresses in the same VRF under R3 is accessible from management
station.. More than, all switches accessible in the same instance from R3..
So, for me it looks like we have a problem only with traffic, which enters
R2 only over aggregate-ethernet, and having only the top-label on the stack.
Traffic entering R2 over sonet with just top-label, or any traffic
entering R2 with more than one label seemed unaffected.

Any clues on this issue ?

The fact that the just _some_ of switches and only under R2 is inaccessible
is the most mystical for me... I'm able to telnet to x.x.x.66, but
telnet x.x.x.67 gets me "connect timeout..." (and at the same time i'm able
to connect them from R2 using 'telnet routing-instance XXXX', so, that's not
the connectivity problem).
(And, yes, we know a hint about setting static-routes inside vrf instance,
and they are present).

PS: both routers in question is M20, JunOS 7.0R2.7, cards in aggregate
are ge-lx, rev. A, customer-facing cards is ge-lh, rev B.
Both switches are Foundry FESX424F+2XG, running 02.4.00dT3e1.
Configuration on juniper side is straightforward:

snar at R2> show configuration interfaces ae0
description "GE-aggregate to R1 via Founfry";
vlan-tagging;
mtu 4488;
aggregated-ether-options {
    minimum-links 1;
    link-speed 1g;
}
unit 0 {
    description BackBone;
    vlan-id 10;
    family inet {
        mtu 1500;
        address A.B.C.133/30;
    }
    family mpls {
        mtu 4470;
    }
}

configuration on foundry side is simple too:

trunk ethe 21 to 24
 config-trunk-ind
 port-name "somename" ethernet 21
 port-name "somename" ethernet 22