[j-nsp] G/E, 1000 BASE-LX on both sides shows up but not pingable

Guy Davies aguydavies at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 04:15:11 EST 2006

The chances are that there is some kind of transmission network
between offering GE LAN extension services.  If that's the case, then
the interfaces are likely to be up at both ends even if the end to end
path has a fault.  This is because the lasers in the transmission
devices at each end are probably active so your LX interfaces see
light.  That's all they need to show physically up.

If you are getting a LES circuit, talk to your telco.  If you're not
using a LES circuit and the devices really are 165 km apart, I think
it's safe to say (as JeeKay did) that you'll never get it working.

Rgds,

Guy