[j-nsp] password recovery procedure in JunOS

Ball, Charles charles.ball at qwest.com
Wed Mar 22 17:38:09 EST 2006

Ulisses,

Here is one url:

http://juniper.cluepon.net/index.php/Password_recovery

Here is a text version I modified slightly a while back:

Juniper Password recovery procedure 5.x

Step1> From console, interrupt boot and boot in single user mode by
typing "boot -s" at the ok prompt:

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [kernel] in 9 seconds...
< Press any key other than return >

ok boot -s

Step1.5> At this prompt, hit enter key.

Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

Step2> Mount the virtual file systems:

# cd /packages
# ./mount.jbase
Mounted jbase package on /dev/vn1...
# ./mount.jkernel
Mounted jkernel package on /dev/vn2...
# ./mount.jroute
Mounted jroute package on /dev/vn3...

Step3> Enter recovery mode (you may be asked some question like sample
below - answer y ):
# cd /usr/libexec/ui
# ./recovery-mode

INCORRECT BLOCK COUNT I=130618 (32 should be 0)
CORRECT? [yn] y

Step4> Enter configuration mode and either delete or change the root
authentication password.
Then commit the changes, exit configuration mode, exit recovery mode and
enter "y" when prompted to reboot the system:

root> configure
Entering configuration mode
[edit]
root# delete system root-authentication
root at router# commit
commit complete
[edit]
root at router# exit

Exiting configuration mode
root at kenny> exit
Reboot the system? [y/n] y
Terminated
The system now reboots and any changes made to root authentication are
activated.

Charles