[j-nsp] password recovery procedure in JunOS

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Wed Mar 22 17:48:37 EST 2006

 From JuniperClue:
http://juniper.cluepon.net/index.php/Password_recovery

-----
Password recovery
 From JuniperClue

    1. From console, interrupt the boot routine:

         Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command

prompt.

         Booting [kernel] in 9 seconds...

         < Press the space bar at this point >

    1. Enter into single-user mode:

         Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
         ok boot -s

    1. Enter the shell:

    1. Mount the virtual file systems (for JUNOS 5.4 and above, it is
not

necessary to mount the jbase package, however the other packages
still need to be mounted):

         NOTE: to go to multi-user operation, exit the single-user shell

(with ^D)

         # cd /packages
         # ./mount.jbase
         Mounted jbase package on /dev/vn1...
         # ./mount.jkernel
         Mounted jkernel package on /dev/vn2...
         # ./mount.jroute
         Mounted jroute package on /dev/vn3...

    1. Enter recovery mode:

         # /usr/libexec/ui/recovery-mode

    1. Enter configuration mode and either delete or change the root

authentication password:

         root> configure
         Entering configuration mode

         [edit]
         root# delete system root-authentication

    1. Commit the changes, and exit configuration mode

         [edit]
         root # commit
         commit complete

         [edit]
         root at router# exit
         Exiting configuration mode

         root at router> exit

Exit recovery mode and enter "y" when prompted to reboot the system:

         Reboot the system? [y/n] y
         Terminated

The system now reboots and changes made to root authentication are
activated.

----