[j-nsp] L2VPN vs VPLS

Rafał Szarecki rszarecki at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 17:03:20 EST 2006

Manu Chao napisał(a):
> I cannot deploy VPLS in my MPLS network with following requirement:
>
> CE1--(Ethernet unttaged)--PE1----P----PE2--(Ethernet untagged)---CE2
>                                                  ------PE3--(Ethernet
> untagged)---CE3
>
> With VPLS, i can emulate a LAN connecting CE1, CE2 and CE3

Why you cannot?

> Can L2VPN do the same (in this case where we cannot use 802.1q between PE
> and CE)?

L2VPN is by definition set or P2P links between CEs. So, In your setup
you need .1Q support.
> >From standard L2VPN configuration, i have to create point to point LSPs with
> Ethernet-CCC
> but
> i cannot have different LSP originated from CE1 untagged interface on PE1
>
> Can point to multipint LSP help here?
> Or may be impossible with L2VPN/

Interesting concept. I do not know if this will work at all, but:
 - This will be emulation of HUB not Switch/Bridge. No MAC address
lerning. Extreemly unefficient.
-  This is out of standard.

Rafal Szarecki JNCIE