[j-nsp] Layer 2 VPNs and MTU

Dermot Williams dermot at irishbroadband.ie
Wed May 3 07:26:39 EDT 2006

Arpit,

That's interesting alright - it appears that the vrf-mtu-check is enable
by default on the J4300s that we use at the CE, but not on the M-series
at the core. However, we don't add the loopback to the routing instances
for our L2VPNs, so there is no IP-enabled interface from which to send
the ICMP unreachables. I'll configure this up on our lab routers and see
how I get on - it should eliminate the need to reduce MTU on a
downstream router interface pair.

I don't think that this will help with the problem that we are having
though, unfortunately, which seems be occurring as a result of MS (and
others) essentially breaking PMTUD.

Thanks for your help,

Dermot