[j-nsp] source based routing

Erdem Sener erdems at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 17:16:47 EDT 2006

Hi Manu,

 This issue had been discussed on the list a couple of times, you'll
hopefully find some examples through the archives.

 The basic idea of what you want to do is build different route tables
(routing-instances) for your upstream providers, such as RI-1 RI-2 and
RI-3. By logic, each instance will 'prefer' prefixes learned from a
different upstream provider so that you can 'forward' your customers
with firewall filters.

 You may as well use rib-groups to 'combine' prefixes, and make sure
your customer's traffic won't get interrupted if any upstream link
goes down (and export default route from your main table).

 It's a bit tricky, and always requires much attention (scenarios,
resolvable next-hops etc.) but does the job.

HTH

On 10/2/06, Manu Chao <linux.yahoo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> What are the JUNOS best pratice to configure source (AND destination) based
> routing?
>
> Topology: multiple upstreams providers, Internet Exchange, customers...
>
> Example:
> I have a M20 connected to 3 upstreams provider (P1, P2, P3) and to 2
> customers (C1, C2, C3).
>
> I would like C1 use P1 by default for the outgoing trafic from me to
> Internet.
> For the return path, i will advertise C1 routes to P1 only but i have no
> idea how to have a preference on P1 for C1. Same request for P2 and C2.
>
> AFAIK, i need to create a firewall filter with different routing table, ok
> but i need routing preference (Px prefered to Py), i dont want Px or Py
> because for some destination i would like to use P1 and for other P2.
>

> If you have any example for soaurce AND destination (using AS PATH or
> communities instead of IP @), it will be much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Thanks for your help or tips :)
> Manu

Erdem