[j-nsp] CoS Implementation/Monitoring

Blake van Eekeren blake at appscorp.net
Mon Oct 9 09:50:35 EDT 2006

Hello:

I have been attempting to apply a basic CoS implementation on an M40.
The appropriate traffic is classified properly, however something does
not jive.  Even with a pegged interface the RED-dropped packets counter
never increments.  I have a data drop profile implemented in the
scheduler for that interface, which applies a rather generous drop schema.

This makes me think that I do not have the profile applied to the
interface properly, yet all the documentation I read proves otherwise.
I have passed this issue through numerous people, yet nobody can seem to
explain it.  I would greatly appreciate any input at all.

Thanks.

data-drop-profile {
     interpolate {
         fill-level [ 60 70 80 90 95 ];
         drop-probability [ 70 80 90 97 100 ];
     }
}

blake at NEWJUNIPER> show interfaces queue fe-0/0/3 forwarding-class data
Physical interface: fe-0/0/3, Enabled, Physical link is Up
   Interface index: 131, SNMP ifIndex: 138
Forwarding classes: 4 supported, 4 in use
Queues: 4 supported, 4 in use
Queue: 0, Forwarding classes: data
   Queued:
     Packets              :              11498867                   200 pps
     Bytes                :            8378457872               2318584 bps
   Transmitted:
     Packets              :              11498867                   200 pps
     Bytes                :            8526295072               2341096 bps
     Tail-dropped packets :                     0                     0 pps
     RED-dropped packets  :                     0                     0 pps
      Low, non-TCP        :                     0                     0 pps
      Low, TCP            :                     0                     0 pps
      High, non-TCP       :                     0                     0 pps
      High, TCP           :                     0                     0 pps
     RED-dropped bytes    :                     0                     0 bps
      Low, non-TCP        :                     0                     0 bps
      Low, TCP            :                     0                     0 bps
      High, non-TCP       :                     0                     0 bps
      High, TCP           :                     0                     0 bps

--
Blake van Eekeren
Apps Communications