[j-nsp] L2circuit encapsulation problems

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Thu Oct 19 13:26:16 EDT 2006

> I'm having an odd problem with setting up a l2circuit between
> an M10 on a fixed optics port (G/E, 1000 BASE-SX) and a Redback
> Smartedge 400.
>
> The circuit is plain ethernet on the Smartedge end and .1q
> tagged on the Juniper end.

This is asking for problems, since the M10 by default will send VLAN
tags inside the Martini tunnel, while the Redback presumably won't.
Note that LDP signals what type (plain Ethernet or VLAN) the Martini
tunnel is!

> Initially I got an encapsulation
> mismatch error and after reading the mail archives noticed
> that some people got around this problem using VLAN-maps on
> the .1q interface - however the fix is alleged to be limited
> to the newer SFP based PIC's.

True, you need either an IQ or a standard SFP based PIC for this.

> Out of interest I tried it and
> the circuit came up (hurrah!) however I don't appear to be
> able to transit any data accross it :-(. Has anyone else managed
> to get this working or am I consigned to purchasing a new
> PIC ? It does seem odd that the vlan-map should work well enough
> to bring up the circuit but not actually transit any data.

We have seen similar problems with the onboard GigE PIC in M7i routers.

I would definitely try to use the same type (plain Ethernet *or* VLAN)
at both ends.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no