[j-nsp] VRRP Advertisements & BGP

Jason J. W. Williams jasonjwwilliams at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 01:14:09 EDT 2006

Hello All,

If one were sniffing a segment with two Juniper's using VRRP, should
one only see advertisements from the master? If I disconnect the
master, then I see advertisements from the backup. The minute I
reconnect the master the advertisements from the backup stop. Also,
the backup shows the master in its "show vrrp summary", however the
primary does not show the backup listed in its "show vrrp summary". Is
this normal? I apologize for the Q if its easy. Been banging my head
on this for a few days.

Also, is it possible to tie VRRP priority of a VRRP group to the
status of BGP session on another interface...much like you can track
the status of an interface?

Thank you in advance,
Jason