[j-nsp] VRRP Advertisements & BGP

Felix Schueren felix.schueren at hosteurope.de
Thu Sep 7 02:24:39 EDT 2006

Jason J. W. Williams wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> If one were sniffing a segment with two Juniper's using VRRP, should
> one only see advertisements from the master? If I disconnect the
> master, then I see advertisements from the backup. The minute I
> reconnect the master the advertisements from the backup stop. Also,
> the backup shows the master in its "show vrrp summary", however the
> primary does not show the backup listed in its "show vrrp summary". Is
> this normal? I apologize for the Q if its easy. Been banging my head
> on this for a few days.

yes, that's just the way VRRP works - the slaves see the master
announcements and keep quiet until some announcements don't get seen (3
* interval, IIRC, so ~3 seconds normally), at which point they will
start announcing themselves as master. The master will never know if
there are any "backup" routers, and every backup router will only see a
single "master" router, even if you configured five vrrp routers all
with different priorities. As long as a VRRP router sees VRRP
advertisements (for a configured vrrp-group, of course) with a higher
priority than it's own, it will just keep quiet and wait for the
announcements to stop.

> Also, is it possible to tie VRRP priority of a VRRP group to the
> status of BGP session on another interface...much like you can track
> the status of an interface?

not AFAIK.

Kind regards,

Felix

--
Felix Schueren, Head of NOC

mailto:felix.schueren at hosteurope.de

Host Europe GmbH - http://www.hosteurope.de
Hansestrasse 109 - D-51149 Koeln - Germany
Telefon (0800) 4678387 - Telefax (01805) 663233
HRB 28495 Amtsgericht Koeln - UST ID DE187370678
Geschaeftsfuehrer U. Braun - M. Read - S. Porter

Für diese Nachricht gilt: http://www.hosteurope.de/disclaimer.html