[j-nsp] Routing-instances

Leigh Porter leigh.porter at ukbroadband.com
Wed Sep 20 10:45:55 EDT 2006

They are also used for filter based forwarding.
i.e.

You match packets to port 80 and have a routing instance with a default
route pointing to your transparent WWW cache, when the filter sees a
datagram matching your filter instead of using the normal inet.0 routing
table you can tell it to use a different routing table to select a route
from for that datagram.

Or say you have two upstream ISP connections, you can decide what ISP to
send traffic to based on a filter and have each ISP with a different
routing instance, I think this is the example used in the Juniper docs.

Juniper routing instances can have their own routing protocol instances
also, I believe.

--
Leigh