[j-nsp] Juniper Ethernet MTU question

Harry Reynolds harry at juniper.net
Sat Sep 30 12:57:04 EDT 2006

If I follow, the OH added by the PE counts towards the PE-P facing (and
other core) interfaces.

In my diagram I tried to show that:

CE facing interface with vlan will need 1504 + 14 or 1518 device mtu

P facing interface will need that, plus (optional control word, vrf/mpls
label, link encap).

The pe does not add any additional vlan tags, unless you have vlan
tagging on the p-facing interface, which I did not include in my
example. I would say that the OH added by the PE affects the core
facing, not CE facing side. This is why I started by saying the small
jumbo supported on the DFE should be OK for a VRF (PE-CE) interface. As
a core interface I think you will have issues.

I hope this clarifies.