[j-nsp] Juniper Ethernet MTU question

Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim ihsan.junaidi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 30 13:45:04 EDT 2006

Let's put the dfe away from being a core interface for a moment. I think I
can grasp some understandings on that part, thanks to you :)

Now back to the question no.1.

My understanding is that enabling vlan-tagging only adds another 4
bytes to cater to the vlan tag. That makes the total mtu size 1518
and rightly so. From the documentation I quoted above, vlan-ccc (4
bytes) encapsulation OH is defined separately from the 802.1q
encapsulation which is 18
bytes. From what I *think* I
understand, arriving at the CE-facing interface, the router will append another
4 bytes of vlan-ccc encap in addition to the 1518 bytes mtu
payload coming from the CE bringing it to 1522.

Configuring
anything less than 1522 mtu on the CE-facing interface will cause the
l2vpn instance to fail
and I couldn't ascertain to
why. This would be the only reason why I otherwise
would have thought so but am hoping someone will be able to clarify.

--
Thank you for your time,
Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim