[j-nsp] ERX 310 GE-HDE limitation ?

Alexandre Snarskii snar at paranoia.ru
Tue Apr 17 06:52:27 EDT 2007

Hi!

Yesterday I started to read documentation on ERX-310, because
we need something more scalable than our existing c7301's
for PPPoE termination.

While 310's looks really promising, there is one interesting
limitation I need to understand..
                                                                                Documentation says, that "The overall data rate for the GE-HDE line             module is 2 Gbps;" and provides some cases on how will that load be
distributed over equally-loaded ports in GE-8 I/O module.
But, in our setup traffic flows are distributed at about 80/20 rule,
80% traffic is network -> users, and only 20% users->network.

Question is: do I understand it correct, that with our traffic patterns
we can be able to achieve something about 1.6 Gbit network->users and
0.4 Gbit users->network ? (Average packet size is well over 174 byte).

And, if anyone using this hardware in the production and like to
share his experience - I'd like to hear your opinions/real-world numbers..