[j-nsp] M7i and M10i problems - TRACE ROUTE

GIULIANO (UOL) giulianocm at uol.com.br
Wed Apr 25 07:02:37 EDT 2007

People,

Thanks a lot for your answer, but in our case, we are not in a MPLS/VPN
environment.

The juniper M10i router is in a border location in our network and it
establishes network peering along with 5 different telecom operator
companies.

Because we are a cable TV operator, our clients and partners ever try to
use TRACEROUTE to see the state of the path. When they try this ... the
border router drops almost 70% of the packets ... only for trace.

Taka a look in the Juniper J-TAC answer:

12/14/06 06:02:47
The drops which you see is a default behavior of the router. When a
packet with TTL of 1 hits our router it should send out
"host-unreachable ttl expired" back. But the above message being sent
out is not reaching back and that is why you observe the drops. The
traceroute is an exception traffic and not a transit traffic. Exception
traffic is handled by the routing engine and it sends out the
"host-unreachable" back to the source. But in our router it is
rate-limited to protect the routing engine. So what you observe is a
perfectly a normal behaviour

So, like you said it looks like a common security procedure to don't let
it happen. We will need to adapt this situation. Its ok.

Thanks a lot,

Giuliano