[j-nsp] MVPN with SSM in the provider space - no MDT SAFI?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Apr 29 12:22:47 EDT 2007

All,

I've got a 3-node testbed in the following setup (IPs are provider
space, network is OSPF+iBGP, MPLS for L3 VPN):

          C-RP

         vl103
        VPN PROD

       cisco 6500
      (10.0.0.100)
      /          \
     /            \
    /              \
  J4350            J6350
10.0.0.2 ------- 10.0.0.3
    |                |
g0/0/1.0         g0/0/1.0
VPN PROD         VPN PROD
    |                |

I'm trying to get MVPN working with SSM groups in the provider space,
but I'm having problems that lead me to believe either the Junipers are
not advertising the MDT SAFI or the Cisco is not receiving them (hence
the SSM joins are never happening).

The MVPN works fine with PIM-SM and RP-mediated traffic. I've tested a
trio of 6500s previously with the exact config running on the 6500 and
it has worked, so I'm 99% sure it's nothing wrong on the Cisco.

Relevant config from the 4350 (6350 is same but with IPs changed obviously)

admin at j4350> show configuration routing-instances PROD
instance-type vrf;
interface ge-0/0/1.0;
interface lo0.1;
route-distinguisher 10.3.0.0:1;
vrf-target {
     import target:10.3.0.0:1;
     export target:10.3.0.0:1;
}
vrf-table-label;
protocols {
     pim {
         vpn-group-address 232.1.1.1;
         rp {
             static {
                 address 10.0.C.RP;
             }
         }
         interface all {
             mode sparse;
             version 2;
         }
     }
}

admin at j4350> show configuration protocols bgp
group WAN {
     local-address 10.0.0.2;
     family inet {
         unicast;
         multicast;
     }
     family inet-vpn {
         unicast;
         multicast;
     }
     family inet6-vpn {
         unicast;
         multicast;
     }
     peer-as 65000;
     neighbor 10.0.0.3;
     neighbor 10.0.0.100;
}

Any ideas how I start diagnosing the issue? JunOS 8.2R1.7 (IOS 12.2 SXF8
if that's relevant)