[j-nsp] Interface Label space for L2VPN PW

Tomasz Szewczyk tomeks at man.poznan.pl
Tue Aug 7 04:27:55 EDT 2007

Hi Monika,

RFC 4447 says "Note that the PW label must always be at the bottom of
the packet's label stack, and labels MUST be allocated from the
per-platform label space." So I think we shouldn't use per-interface labels.
The RFC says also " When PE2 receives a packet over a pseudowire, it
must be able to determine that the packet was in fact received over a
pseudowire, and it must be able to associate that packet with a
particular pseudowire."

In my opinion it is better to use per-platform labels for example in
networks implementing fast re-route. In that case the packets form PW
can be received on different interfaces (depending on network state).
Probably it is easier to build and maintain FEC. I think choosing
per-interface or per-platform label space is not scaling problem too,
because it has no influence on FEC size. As far as I'm concerned if
multiple paths exists between PEs, the per-platform label space is
closer to "per-peer".

Regards

Tomek