[j-nsp] P-4FE-TX output discards under very light load?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Tue Aug 7 06:20:45 EDT 2007

Hello all,

We're seeing a relatively small number of output discards (usually up
to 200 a day, usually in the dozens, some days none) on about 5 FE
interfaces (all of them on different routers on 4xFE PICs) and this
has been going on for quite some time.  All of the FE interfaces use
various kinds of copper-to-fiber media converters.

The weird thing here is these interfaces are very low usage -- typical
traffic is between 0.5-5 Mbit/s.  Even more strange, most of the time
output drops don't happen during traffic spikes (sometimes up to 20-30
minutes with 5 minute averages), but apparently during a quiet period.

This leads me to think that that these output drops are not caused by
congestion of the link but by something else.

Any ideas what that 'something else' could be, or how to go about
finding it out?

Some pointers/thoughts:
  - the increase is mostly under the "Red dropped Low, TCP" counter.
  - uRPF is applied on all interfaces
  - all interfaces ('interfaces fe-* scheduler-map ...') run a basic
    CoS scheduler/classifier
  - no output filters or rate-limiters
  - the whole PICs are also lightly loaded.  FPCs likewise.
  - some of the interfaces have longer than /30 prefix length, but
    scanning the subnet (trying to trigger ARP resolution drops)
    doesn't seem to increase output drops (are these drops counted
    anywhere?  I guess not..)
  - manual says that flow-control is not supported on 4xFE.  I wonder
    whether this could cause issues.