[j-nsp] VPLS tunnel LSP establishment

Rafał Szarecki rszarecki at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 10:40:59 EDT 2007

2007/8/8, Monika M <monika.vpls at gmail.com>:

> I agree with you that router ID configuration is not mandatory to be a
> routable address as per theory. But Don't many vendors mandate using
> Loopback address when it comes to RSVP-TE, static LSP etc....?

This is curent best practice, but mandatory.

           Another point: I beleive recursive lookup is no longer required
> for L2VPN NLRI next hop processing as we need to only find out a tunnel LSP
> to the nexthop (Provider edge device for which the PW is  established) and
> not the immediate directly connected nexthop.

Indeed. However.
With BGP signaling, BGP Next-Hop is IP address of anouncing PE. Then BGH has
to make lookup for this  IP adres to identyfy LSP.  Thus BGP Next-Hop has to
be an adress with assigned LSP. Consequently to have LSP assigned to adress
route, this adress need to be routable.

Ok. There is potential exception. It is possible to instal route to LSP
(install comand). Of course installed adress can be non-existing on remote
PE. IMHO is like static routing, so this is routable address.

Regards,