[j-nsp] re333 not booting install media

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Aug 9 20:08:44 EDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 09:10:35PM +0200, Jonas Frey wrote:
> Chris,
>
> i know that the RE333 is pretty much hard to upgrade. E.g. it wont
> handle large harddisks (40+gb).
> I am not sure if it handles that much type of flash.

Check your bios version, if its 0.9 you're affected by the old award BIOS
bug which pukes on drives > 32gb, if its 1.2 you're good to go with bigger
ones. You can pop the chips out and copy the eeprom easily enough if you
really care. :)

I can confirm that standard low-speed 512MB SanDisk CF's work fine. I had
a problem with 2GB high speed flash, not sure why, just stick with the
512MB's.

> You can access the bios only via the PS2 ports of the RE. These are
> "hidden" behind the front plate. Its not easy to get access to the PS2
> ports while still beeing able to boot the RE. You cannot access the bios
> via serial console since the bsd kernel handles the serial input when
> the boot loader is booted. Before that the RE takes no input besides the
> PS2.

I've never had a problem getting into the BIOS via serial console.

But yes OP probably needs to reset bios to detect new drives if the old
ones failed in a way that they got blocked in bios, and then partition
slice and format. :)