[j-nsp] re333 not booting install media

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Aug 9 20:15:56 EDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 02:40:49PM -0700, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> Hyunseog Ryu [HRyu at norlight.com] wrote:
> > Possibly flash disk file system may not recognized by JUNOS either because
> > it is not formatted/installed correctly or is not compatable.
> > You may check with 128MB or 256MB Flash Disk option.
>
> Nope, the RE333 just never boots the pcmcia disk.  It boots fine in other
> RE333s.

There are two settings you care about, the boot list and the next boot
device. The settings you access under sysctl are the same as what you see
in bios.

machdep.bootdevs: pcmcia-flash,compact-flash,disk,lan
machdep.nextbootdev: pcmcia-flash

The bootdevs list is the list of devices that will be considered for
booting. If you have a problem with one (say for example you develop bad
sectors on your compact-flash) JUNOS will automatically remove it from the
device list. This way the next time the box reboots the kernel will be
forced to ignore the device, and the box will be able to go on about its
business on the backup drive. If you've since replaced the failed media
which was previously removed, you'll need to add it back either in bios or
sysctl.

The nextbootdev entry is just the device that it will try to boot next.
Usually this is pcmcia-flash, so that if you insert a PCMCIA card it will
boot that, otherwise it will fail and go to the compact-flash.

If you don't see PCMCIA in the dmesg you either don't have it in the
bootdevs list, or your PCMCIA card or reader is toast. Check those things,
re-image the card, maybe try replacing it, and when you get the new
install-media up you should be good. I'm told that new code does a better
job doing the partition/slice/format on new drives, haven't tested it
myself.