[j-nsp] GE/10GE link-mode config on M/T-series has no effect

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Dec 11 12:16:23 EST 2007

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 12:00:50PM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 08:21:53AM -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > It is a requirement of the GigE standard to do autonegotiation.
> > Turning it off would be a violation of the standard.  Besides, when
> > was the last time you saw a GigE PHY that supported Half-Duplex?
> > Autonegotiation on GigE is more about flow-control settings than
> > duplex settings.  I assume the situation with 10GE is similar.
>
> Re: GigE, you are very confused. The above is only true with 10GE.

I don't think so, although what I said may be limited to copper links
only:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonegotiation

"The debatable portions of the autonegotiation specifications were
eliminated by the 1998 release of 802.3. This was later followed by
the release of IEEE 802.3ab in 1999. The new standard specified that
gigabit Ethernet over copper wiring requires autonegotiation."