[j-nsp] GE/10GE link-mode config on M/T-series has no effect

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Dec 11 12:49:57 EST 2007

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 12:37:03PM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 12:16:23PM -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > I don't think so, although what I said may be limited to copper links
> > only:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonegotiation
> >
> > "The debatable portions of the autonegotiation specifications were
> > eliminated by the 1998 release of 802.3. This was later followed by
> > the release of IEEE 802.3ab in 1999. The new standard specified that
> > gigabit Ethernet over copper wiring requires autonegotiation."
>
> What they mean to say is that autonegotiation SUPPORT is mandatory (i.e.
> as a hw manufacturer you must implement it), but it is not mandatory that
> you USE it (it can still be disabled). This is in contrast to FastE
> autonegotiation, which was originally optional and had many problems with
> interoperation between vendors due to an ambiguous specification. With
> 10GE, it is actually mandatory that you use it (i.e. as a user there is no
> command to disable it).

Actually no you're right about the requirement for autonegotiation on
copper. It is a requirement under 802.3ab to use autonegotiation when
doing GigE over 1000BASE-T. It is not a requirement with other GigE
imeplementations where it can be turned off completely, and half duplex is
still a supported and negotiable option.