[j-nsp] VRRP with Juniper, what is needed around?

Jeff Meyers Jeff.Meyers at gmx.net
Fri Dec 14 21:38:06 EST 2007

Pekka Savola schrieb:

Hi,

> Strictly speaking, you don't need full tables from upstream.  For
> example, a default route or default + some more specifics is also OK.

of course, yes. But for a little traffic engineering we prefere
full-tables here :-)

> In your simple setup, you don't necessarily need IGP, because the only
> thing the other box needs to know is where is the other router's
> loopback address.  The rest can be propagated in iBGP.  You can

Even if I don't do VRRP for every single customer? What happens if
traffic transits the 2nd router and it does not know that the subnet is
added on the 1st router in vlan 200? I guess in this case, traffic will
be discarded.

> I guess there are two main ways to build a redundant router/switch
> solution like this:
>
>  R1-----R2
>  |      |
>  SW1---SW2
>
> or:
>
>  R1\ /R2
>  |  X |
>  | / \|
>  SW1 SW2
>
> in the latter diagram you can also add a direct link between routers
> and/or switches if you want but you can also live without it.

I guess the first solution is what we want. I guess the direct link
between R1 and R2 is just a logical link for iBGP and maybe IGP?

> The former is simpler and is usually sufficient when the switches and
> routers are located in the same premises (i.e. you don't need to be too
> worried about fiber breaks etc. -- this assumes that if a link between
> switch and router fails, the router sees the link down event). In this
> scenario, you may want to use two links between SW1 and SW2 (and run
> LACP or some such to bundle them up unless you just use STP) just in
> case a switch port fails.  Spanning tree is not required in this setup.

Great, thanks for your detailled reply!

Best regards,
Jeff