[j-nsp] VRRP with Juniper, what is needed around?

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Sat Dec 15 03:01:58 EST 2007

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007, Jeff Meyers wrote:
>>  In your simple setup, you don't necessarily need IGP, because the only
>>  thing the other box needs to know is where is the other router's loopback
>>  address.  The rest can be propagated in iBGP.  You can
>
> Even if I don't do VRRP for every single customer? What happens if traffic
> transits the 2nd router and it does not know that the subnet is added on the
> 1st router in vlan 200? I guess in this case, traffic will be discarded.

That's why you'd put your direct routes (and everything else as
well) to iBGP.

>>  I guess there are two main ways to build a redundant router/switch
>>  solution like this:
>>
>>   R1-----R2
>> | |
>>   SW1---SW2
>>
>>  or:
>>
>>   R1\ /R2
>> |  X |
>> |  / \|
>>   SW1 SW2
>>
>>  in the latter diagram you can also add a direct link between routers
>>  and/or switches if you want but you can also live without it.
>
> I guess the first solution is what we want. I guess the direct link between
> R1 and R2 is just a logical link for iBGP and maybe IGP?

It can be a logical link realized using a vlan.  If it's a logical and
not physical link, you'll want to run IGP to notice if some of the
physical links break.

Some outbound traffic is going to use that link depending on your BGP
path selection and the choice of VRRP primar(y|ies).