[j-nsp] Upgrade without PCMCIA card?

Kevin Day toasty at dragondata.com
Wed Dec 19 19:16:55 EST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007, at 4:09 PM, chiel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to upgrade a M5 from 6.2R2.4 to 8.5R1.14.

As Richard said, you might not want to make the jump to 8.5 on that
platform.

Unless you've got an enhanced FEB ("show chassis feb" says you have
128MB of SDRAM), you probably won't have enough FEB memory to do much
of anything. The symptoms for running out are varied, exciting and
confusing. I was unable to get 8.4 or 8.2 stable with a full v4+v6
table and RPF enabled, and nothing more on our non-enhanced M10.

Downgrading to 7.6 worked for me, which is probably your best bet on
the M5/10/20/40 unless you're willing to upgrade the RE's flash and
the FEB/SSB SDRAM in a warranty-voiding kinda way.

-- Kevin