[j-nsp] m320

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Dec 20 19:04:33 EST 2007

On Thu, Dec 20, 2007 at 11:53:49PM +0200, sunnyday wrote:
> my question was about load balancing because i read that at internet
> processor 2 is per flow an plain internet processor is random

It isn't random, but it is per-packet which potentially allows reordering
to occur inside a flow.

The original Internet Processor was Juniper's first attempt at designing a
forwarding ASIC, and hasn't shipped in any product since around 2000 or
so. The only platforms it ever shipped in were the original M40s and some
early M20s. Everything after that has used flow-based load balancing,
including the M320 which uses a newer architecture not based on the IP
chips at all.