[j-nsp] Host 0 boot from Alternate media on M10 Alarm

Jonas Frey jf at probe-networks.de
Sun Dec 23 12:41:01 EST 2007

Well, its not uncommon that CF goes bad after time. You will usually not
notice this while normal operation since there are very very few
read/writes to the CF. When you update junos there are alot of
read/writes to the CF thus this is where 95% of CF failures are to be
expected. There is no monitoring within JunOS to check if the CF is good
over time...this is only true for the harddisk where SMART is running
(but it doesnt help all the time...).
You can manually check the CF with either the routing-engine diagnostics
(read only test) or try "request system snapshot". The later will also
write to the CF. We have had CF failures which were not detected by just
read tests but all were clearly visible when doing a snapshot.

Regards,
Jonas