[j-nsp] BGP session going down on "invalid attribute list"

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu Jan 4 08:36:43 EST 2007

On Thu, 4 Jan 2007, Rutger Bevaart wrote:
> Yesterday we had a BGP session fall away under our feet, and we don't
> completely understand why. We have a Juniper M7i running JUNOS 7.4.
>
> Logging shows:
> Jan  3 16:37:18 juniper rpd[2727]: bgp_read_v4_update: NOTIFICATION sent
> to *.21 (External AS X): code 3 (Update Message Error) subcode 1 (invalid
> attribute list)
> a) Has anybody seen this behaviour before?

First of all, it's not obvious to me why you believe the private AS is
causing the trouble.

As a matter of fact, we saw the same behaviour today morning, except
that we _received_ the NOTIFICATION of invalid attribute list from our
downstream customer when the full Internet routing table we're
advertising to the them (a Cisco router) flapped.  I hear the Cisco
router's memory is almost full which I thought might be a possible
indication of a memory allocation problem.

We are running 7.5SR.  It's not clear to me whether this was a bug in
Cisco or in Juniper.