[j-nsp] bgp-nexthop-sanity errors?

Hyunseog Ryu HRyu at norlight.com
Sun Jan 14 04:08:11 EST 2007

Hi there,

Recently I was looking at Juniper router logs, and I found following
messages.

Jan 14 02:34:38  router-hostname rpd[3268]: bgp_nexthop_sanity: peer
X.X.X.X (External AS 64514) next hop Y.Y.Y.Y local, ignoring routes in
this update

X.X.X.X is the loopback address of remote router, which is peering ip
address, and Y.Y.Y.Y is local router's interface ip address.
Our router's BGP session use remote loopback address as peering ip
address, and I set local-address to loopback address from all of routers.
We are using BGP confederation, and also configured for ebgp-multihop,
too.
But for some reason, when router receives BGP prefixes from remote router,
local router think it was came from local router's interface, not from
remote router.
When our routers exchanges the router inside our BGP confederation
network, it doesn't change next-hop to self.

I opened the case with JTAC, and I could not get satisfactory answers.
They said it was fixed since 7.4R1.7, but we ar e running 7.6R1.10.

Any info or advice will be helpful.

Thanks.

Hyun

Hyunseog Ryu
Senior Network Engineer
Norlight Telecommunications, Inc./Applications Engineering
13935 Bishops Drive
Brookfield, WI 53005
Phone. +1-262-792-7965
Fax. +1-262-792-7733